Wednesday, May 9, 2012

You might be a writer if...

So I just saw a link to an article that said "You might be a writer if..." Ok? So now there are stipulations you have to meet to be a writer? Doesn't seem fair to me.

In my opinion, everyone's a writer. Only you might not write. Some people can give the most eloquent speeches without having a think wrote down, yet I count them as writers. Some people can create poems on a whim and recite them to their friends and loved ones, yet never write them down. And some people write things down, and sometimes those things are not legible, or make no sense, but they are still writing.

Every single person has their own unique style and voice when writing, so who gets the right to determine who would make a writer?

No one, you say? Yeah, that's why I thought.

Needless to say, it really makes me grit my teeth when I see things like this. While I will admit, some writers are able to have their works published, while others will be unseen, but does this make those who are published better than those that are unseen? I think not.

I guess my point is, the next time you see something that boasts: "How to know if you're a ______" or "You might be a __________ IF," I'd suggest ignoring it and just go for it! What's the worst that can happen? You find out you don't like it, or you don't have time for all that's invovled in it. What's the best thing that can happen? Your taking a chance and doing what makes you happy ends up becoming your career or your life long hobby.

As they say, "Be You."

~Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment