Monday, May 14, 2012

Novels That Suck You In

So last night, I started reading a new novel. It looked really cheesy and heavy on the romance side, so it's definitely something that's outside my normal realm of historically based, non-fiction, political, or classic works genres. I know what you're thinking: "*yawn* Geez Jen, get a life." But what can I say? I like the "nerdy" stuff. :^) And besides, it was 3am, I had 3 more hours to stay at work waiting for the phone to ring (which it never did...the city actually behaved itself for awhile lol), the first book was free, and my Kindle thought I would like it. So I thought "what the hell?"

Fast forward 6 hours, 200+ pages, and half an Amp, and I've bought the second installment for $4.99 and I'm still awake reading. What the .... ?

How on earth did I get sucked into the crap? The plot line is predictable (damsel in distress + bad guy turned good guy + need to save the world = cheesy to the 1000th power), the humor is albeit witty, but again, predictable, and the main character is so cliched that I'm starting to question copyright violations...but I can't put it down...even though my eyes are giving out.

Funny thing is, as much as I hate them, I LOVE authors like that. They are the talented ones who could be writing the same old routine of a novel (aka hero + misfortune + damsel in distress = I'm bored...), but their story telling skills are so unbelievably incredible, they leave you perched on the edge of your seat, eyes pouring over the page...faster...faster...sleep forgotten...just wondering what will happen next.......Coincidentally, you already know how the story is going to end (aka the bad guy always loses), but you just can't help but get wrapped up in the world that is the author's creation.

*sigh*

So here we are. Even now as I'm typing this, I'm thinking about that damn book. Wanting to read it - no - needing to read it - even thought I know I should be doing more productive things. Like finishing the programs for my wedding, or finishing the list of songs for the DJ, or even creating the card I've had stuck in my mind for two days...but no, I want to finish that book. So I can get to the next one...and then read her other works...

Hi, my name is Jennifer. I have an addiction to ___________'s novel series ______________. It's been 3 hours since I've put it down.....wait, hold on................................sorry, just let me finish this chapter................I...yeah, I'll be right there................................................................................................I'm sorry, what was I saying?

~ Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment